General information and useful links
If you are planning to return to Italy from abroad you will find useful information at the following link of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. In particular the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has developed an interactive questionnaire which will give you personalized answer specific to your travel situation.
For a comprehensive snapshot of the various laws and regulations approved by the Italian Government please visit this link.
Additional information in the form FAQ can be found at the following link.
If you are in the US please follow directions provided by the White House, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and State and local authorities. It is also recommended to follow the recommendations of the Italian Ministry of Health (in Italian).
Latest norms as of May 14, 2021
The Italian Ministry of Health Ordinances related to travel to/from abroad (GU Serie Generale n.114 del 14-05-2021) and to “Covid-tested” flights (GU Serie Generale n.115 del 15-05-2021), effective from Sunday, May 16th, envisage the following updates as regards entering Italy from the USA:
– the United States no longer belongs to “Group E” group of Countries, and is now part of “Group D” which includes Countries from which entry to Italy is permitted without the need for a specific reason.
ENTRY TO ITALY FROM THE USA VIA COVID-TESTED FLIGHTS
– If entry to Italy from the USA occurs via Covid-tested flights, passengers are not required to abide by quarantine obligations;
– persons departing the USA on board of Covid-tested flights are required to hand in to the carrier and to whoever is in charge of carrying out checks, upon boarding, a certification attesting to the negative result of the molecular test (RT PCR) or antigenic test, carried out by means of a swab, no later than 48 hours prior to boarding; upon arrival in Italy, passengers are required to carry out, directly at the airport, a molecular (RT PCR) or antigenic swab test;
– the international airports in the United States authorized for the Covid-tested flights to Italy are the following:Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York (John Fitzgerald Kennedy e Newark Liberty), Philadelphia, Washington DC; the international airports in Italy authorized for the Covid-tested flights from the United States are the following: Roma-Fiumicino, Milano-Malpensa, Napoli-Capodichino e Venezia-Marco Polo;
– NB: not all international direct flights between said airports are Covid-tested. Upon booking, it is important to verify that the selected flight is a Covid-tested one, as well as to check the airline’s specific testing and documentation requirements.
The Italian Ministry of Health sets forth the procedures here. The airlines will also guide travellers through what is needed. We advise you follow their directives carefully.
Alitalia: flight New York JFK- Roma FCO
Delta: flight New York JFK – Milano MXP and flight Atlanta – Roma FCO
American Airlines: flight New York JFK – Milano MXP
SEA has a detailed guide for passengers of the new flights towards Milano Malpensa, available here.
AdR has information on the Covid-tested flights towards Rome available here.
ENTRY TO ITALY FROM THE USA VIA NON COVID-TESTED FLIGHTS
– Despite the lifting of restrictions to travel from the USA to Italy, if entry to Italy from the USA occurs via non Covid-tested flights, the following remains valid: a) the obligation to hand in to the carrier and to whoever is in charge of carrying out checks, upon boarding, a certification attesting to the negative result of a molecular test or antigenic test, carried out by means of a swab, no later than 72 hours prior to entering Italy; b) the obligation to undergo fiduciary isolation and health surveillance for 10 days, and the obligation to undergo an additional molecular or antigenic swab at the end of the 10-day isolation period.
All passengers entering Italy will be required to complete the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form before entering the Italian territory
From Italy to the US
We recall that pursuant to President Biden of january 25, 2021, entry into the USA is still suspended for aliens coming from the Schengen area (as of March 14, also UK and Ireland). See the text of the Proclamation and A Proclamation on Revoking Proclamation 10014
For additional information on how to get into the US, please contact your local US Embassy or Consulate.