This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK

Citizenship by marriage


Citizenship by marriage


Intruction on the procedure of Citizenship by marriage (jure matrimoni)


Important update

From 4 December 2018 (law 1 Dec 2018, n. 132) it has become indispendable condition for the issueing of the Italian citizenship, according to artt. 5 and 9 of L. 91/92, to demonstrate the adequate knowledge of the Italian language to a level not less then B1 of the Common Reference Framework for the knowledge of languages. The assessment of such requirement is to be achieved through the acquisition of a study title issued by an institute of public education, an equally recognized entity or through a certificate issued by a certifying body.
At this stage the following are considered certifying entities, belonging to the system od unified certification CLIQ (Certificazione Lingua Italiana di Qualità), eventually in a regime of collaboration with local Culture Italian Institutes:
• the Università per stranieri di Siena,
• the Università per stranieri di Perugia,
• the Università Roma Tre,
• the Società Dante Alighieri.

The America Italy Society of Philadelphia is now offering CILS/CLIQ courses, examination, and certification required for Italian Citizenship by marriage requests. Please check the links below for detailed information, dates, and instructions.

Therefore, the (no less than) level B1 certificates issued by such entities will be considered valid according to the above mentioned norm.

Information on the legalization of the documents

Birth certificates and background checks must come with an Apostille and an Italian translation before the upload on the ALI portal. For this purpose, ake sure to mail us the original along with the Apostille/transalation, the appropriate legalization fee with a Postal Money Order, and a prepaid self-addressed return envelope (USPS or UPS). We are only responsible for the legalization of translation for documents isseued in the US;  any other certificate must be legalized by the Italian Consulate responsible by jurisdiction.