This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Import of household effects

Exemption from import fees on household effects is guaranteed to Citizens registered in AIRE who move their permanent residency back to Italy after residing continuously and permanently abroad for 12 or more months.

According to recent regulations – art. 15 comma 1 Legge 12 novembre 2011, n. 183 that has partially replaced the previous D.P.R. 455 28 dicembre 2000 –the change of one’s residency back to Italy can be proved by a self-produced declaration, in accordance with art. 45, 46 and 47 of the aforementioned D.P.R. 455/2000.

This declaration, along with a valid ID copy, can be presented directly to the Custom’s Authorities in Italy, without any additional consular stamp.

At the bottom of the page, you can download the regulation on duty-free imports and a fac-simile of the self-declaration (also for vehicles).  This form, once filled out, can be presented to Customs Office in Italy.

Should you need any additional information, please contact Agenzia delle Dogane or Customs Offices of the country where your household effects will be imported.