The Vital Records Office of an Embassy or a Consulate deals, like an Italian Municipality, with the management of Civil Status Registers. There are four Civil Status Registers: birth, marriage, divorce and death. In particular, consular offices receive the documents issued by foreign authorities and transmit them to Italian municipalities for registration.
The Vital Records section of the consular offices assists Italian citizens residing in the district in carrying out the following practices:
• Reception of birth, marriage and death certificates and their transmission to the Italian Municipality;
• Reception and transmission of divorce judgments to the competent municipalities for transcription;
• Reception and transmission of judgments of foreign adoptions to the competent courts for the recognition of the judgment and subsequently to the competent municipalities for transcription;
• Drafting of the minutes of marriage banns and posting to the consular register;
• Celebration of consular marriage, unless it is opposed by local laws;
• Transmission of requests for the change of name or surname to the competent Prefetture.
* To register vital records documents, the applicant must have Italian citizenship and, if resident abroad, must be registered with AIRE.
* The documentation can be sent by ordinary mail.
Follow the instructions in the sub-section on the right.